7.29.2009

Home{work}

Considering it's only July, and both of our children are under five, you'd think that homework would be the furthest thing from my mind. But, JB starts kindergarten in September. Typical of my relationship with homework, I feel completely unprepared and have to admit that the whole thing kind of snuck up on me {denial}. And now we have to make a decision that will irrevocably determine the path of the rest of his life {Ok, maybe I'm being dramatic, but that's what it feels like} and pick a school. I have to ask, am I really qualified to make this decision?

Articles like this one are not helping the matter. Homework in kindergarten? Really? At least the author knew to even ask the question!

The truth is that we chose a school in June. I was confident when we made the decision, but I still find myself checking out other options almost daily {Oh, that one has a better lunch program - free range turkey sandwiches with whole grain organic bread?! Wait, what about this one that is closer to home? And this one doesn't require endless hours of parental volunteer work... that would be nice, considering I work full time.}.

Wow. That's a scary glimpse into my clearly misguided priorities. Food. Location. Less work. I told you I wasn't qualified to make this decision.

Last week, we got a letter in the mail from JB's new teacher. It included an introduction, schedules for orientation, a school supply list and...... homework. Due August 1st. Before school even starts {which, incidentally, isn't making it into the mail until today}. All of this has me wishing that I could be home more and work less {or not at all}. Then it would matter less where he went because he'd still be spending most of the day with me. And homework would definitely not be on the agenda.

No comments:

Post a Comment